Language underlies all learning, permeating the fabric of all we do in the education of our students.
Excellence in education for globally-minded students is our mission. On this page we summarize our language philosophy and highlight how we operationalize that philosophy in regards to English, German, and Other Languages.Language is not isolated to one domain or another, rather it is considered in terms of:
- learning language,
- learning through language, and
- learning about language.
Attending to students’ language development is a pedagogical imperative. This development is essential to students’ intellectual and social growth and enables full participation in the wider community. (from Halliday, in Language and learning in IB programmes, 2012: 22-26)
At MIS, we believe:
- multilingualism establishes cognitive patterns of language acquisition that can be drawn upon in the learning of additional languages;
- proficiency in additional languages is required to derive positive cognitive benefits from multilingualism;
- language teaching must reflect the developing knowledge of how people learn;
- language learning occurs in all classrooms; all teachers are language teachers;
- language learning embraces the development of cultural understandings, a fundamental tenet of MIS, as an international school;
- language is learned most effectively when it is used in significant and meaningful situations as learners interact with each other to accomplish their goals;
- language proficiency differs in terms of conversational and academic proficiency; all students must be supported in the development of their academic language proficiency, regardless of the target language;
- ongoing support of a student’s dominant language is crucial for academic and social development as well as for personal identity;
- the development of the host country language - German - and understanding of German culture are important for all members of the MIS community;
- parents are partners in their children's language learning and need to actively support this development.